Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Atheists and gay ballers

Not being a big NBA follower I had never heard of John Amaechi, but I saw him interviewed by some complete tool on CNN last night, and he should be the ambassador for the NBA and professional sports in general, not because of his dating habits but because he is one of the most articulate, sharp, intelligent-sounding human beings I've ever heard on tv, period. I could not have been more impressed by him, seriously. Wow.

Check him out HERE.

The interview I saw was on Paula Zhan's show, which I only watched because Richard Dawkins was on (for like 2 minutes), and I have to say that I was stunned by the utter tabloid shittiness of the show in general. Her first question to Dawkins: "Why are you an atheist?" He answered, of course, "Why are you an atheist with regard to Thor and Zeus and the Flying Spaghetti Monster?" I mean, the segment was supposed to be about discrimination against atheistic Americans, and she leads with this question that in and of itself suggests there's something incomprehensible and bizarre about being an atheist? The only reason they had him on (which they admitted, by the way) was that they got all kinds of flak after they ran a piece a week or so ago that discussed atheism in America and included...not one atheist on the panel. Nice journalism there. So this week they actually had one atheist family on, a woman from the Atheist Moms group that I belong to, actually, and they did a fine job, but it was pretty obvious that CNN was phoning it in and didn't much care. The panel "discussion" afterward was shameful.

The tool who talked to Amaechi was named John Roberts, I think--never seen him before--and he just looked like a bumbling fool. He actually asked the guy if he was ever attracted to a teammate. That's what he wants to know, in his two minute interview. Come on, admit that gays really do think of nothing but humping every male in their field of vision. Legitimize my prejudices, please. Incredible.

RichardDawkins.net is getting more traffic than it can handle these days, but if you can get on they have the video of the show posted there. I don't know if it's the whole thing or only his segment but they also have the transcript linked, in case anyone cares about any of this.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Dawkins. My first atheist love...

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Rees said...

I know! He's the cat's pajamas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes