Sunday, August 19, 2007

Superbad date rape comedy?

From the Entertainment Weekly review I just read:

"As best friends and graduating seniors Seth [...] and Evan [...] face the prospect of a partnership disrupted by the distractions of college, they envision one last chance to unload their nagging virginity: They'll get a couple of girls drunk at a party and do 'em. Lay 'em, plow 'em...choose the age-old crudity of your choice."


Oh, I get it! Ha ha ha...wait, WHAT?

Come on, amateurs! Go get some Rohypnol like the real players. (I mean, are they serious with this?)

So we have a film marketed to teenagers that includes these charming assertions:

1. Boys should not be virgins by the end of high school.

2. Boys must get laid by any means possible. If girls don't wish to cooperate while sober then boys should investigate chemical options.

3. Boys are partners in this enterprise, meaning they are aligned together against girls, who are merely means to an end. (This aspect of the plot would make Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick chortle, not that our fag bashing populace will recognize the homoeroticism of boys who vow to lose their virginity together, of course.)

I understand from the rest of the review that these boys turn out to be harmless dorks and no one is actually date raped or whatever, but I could not give less of a shit. And please don't tell me I should really see the movie myself because you would have to pin my eyelids back Clockwork Orange-style to make me view this tripe. Shame on everyone involved.


UPDATE: I have since read an amateur review that includes this info:

'The last act is very well done, while being funny and also realistic and dramatic, pointing out some of the harsh realities of teenage drinking, instead of just making everything cool and fun like most movies. I’m unhappy to report that a large portion of the audience didn’t seem to appreciate the dramatic turn. Many of them seemed to be cheering (too loudly) for date rape. Also, when Seth and Evan start expressing their true feelings as best friends there were a lot of homophobic groans and even some asshole shouting out lines from “Brokeback Mountain.”'

I rest my case.

5 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger StickyKeys said...

The whole concept of men being whores, but women being virginal butter tubs just waiting to be poked is.. well... common. So very sadly common.

Really, really, very, sadly common.

Sigh.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

The entire "teenaged sex romp/comedy of the summer!" genre makes me darn near have an aneurysm.

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just, you know, ugh. Gross. Fucking gross.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Cornelius said...

This movie was pretty much one long plan to date rape two girls, and it didn't work out as planned (aww too bad). The boys somehow grew from the experience (yeah..what?). In this crappy movie's defense, at least Cera's Evan knew it was wrong. He was just bullied continuously by the idiotic creation that was Seth. The audience's reaction to the movie was more disturbing than the movie. People are such. idiots.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger a.d said...

I was disgusted when i watched this, with my then boyfriend who thought it was hilarious and harmless at the time. The disturbing thing is that he ended up assaulting me a couple of months later. He still thinks that what he did was harmless. I disagree. Really shows that attitudes run deep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes