Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pole This

I wanted to shriek, "I've got your pole right HERE!" except...I don't. Have one. Damn penis envy strikes again!

Yes, I got the yearly "See You at the Pole" email at my school this morning.

You know what my problem really is? It's the aggressive nature of the enterprise. The stated purpose of the pole meeting activity, essentially, is to protest church/state separation. It is also, as a colleague pointed out this morning, exclusionary and ripe for abuse, as one's absence from the event could be noted and used against you. I in no way believe that someone at my institution would do that, but the potential is there, and I hate everything about the entire business anyway. Gah.

Besides, don't they know they're participating in a pagan ritual by hopping around a pole? Don't they realize the phallocentric eroticism they're perpetuating?

4 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger StickyKeys said...

The original use of the pole was about it being a flag pole and representative of the bond between God and country. Not for phallic reasons that I know of.

Is your school primarily Christian based or very small? We had pole ceremonies in Highschool but it was usually very early in the morning before school, we prayed our prayer and then went to class. I've never heard of anything overt happening because of it. I'd hope that that wouldn't be the case in your situation!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Rees said...

No, no...it's a liberal arts university. The pole thing is being put on by the campus Baptists and I'm sure they're mostly benign. The phallic thing was just a joke, as the Maypole had phallic/fertility implications.

I am opposed because, forgive me, but if you want to pray there are places for that: churches. The only reason to make this united stand at school is to be pushy and "oh yeah, well watch us" about the denial of school prayer. It bugs me.

Good to see you though, dahling!

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you realize this started in our old hometown. Every year the local news covers it like it's the second coming in Burleson. an old classmate

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Rees said...

I did NOT know this! So we have Kelly Clarkson and SYATP now? I'll take Kelly any day.

And I'm dying to know which old classmate...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes