Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Video of Mitt Romney and a Mormon H8er

In the short video clip linked in the title, presidential hopeful Mitt Romney is attacked by some complete cretin who calls him out--in the exact voice of the Dean of Students where I teach, by the way, though I can assure you he is not, in fact, this guy, just an eerie sound-a-like--for, of all things not knowing Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior well enough because he's Mormon.

You wouldn't think things could take a turn for the creepier from there, but Romney himself grabs the wheel and careens into Creepy Canyon with his answer, that he believes the country needs people of all faiths (okay) but the most crucial thing is that it must "be lead by a person of faith."

So, the President must be religious, says Romney. Doesn't matter what flavor of religion, as long as he (and I would say "he or she" but you know he wouldn't so fuck it) claims some higher power bollocks.

There are so many things wrong with that assertion, and Judge Judy comes on in like 15 minutes so I'm not dedicating any more time to it than that, but I'll toss out my immediate visceral response of: I guess atheistic Americans need not apply? So much for that pesky "no religious test" clause, and the Treaty of Tripoli is right out, clearly.

Think of the assumptions here, the ignorant, baseless assumptions:

1) He asserts that anyone who ascribes to any religion--even one in fundamental conflict with his own--must by default be a better person and a better leader than a non-religious person, no matter other factors.

2) He claims that our political system not only supports the application of a president's personal religion in office but demands such. I find this idea terrifying, I truly do. Just terrifying.

6 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shiver.....

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

I'd rather all the God-damned politicians have to undergo some sort of common sense/fiscal responsibility testing, as well as a full reading and testing on the Constitution and bill of Rights, but...apparently that's just foolish of me.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Maven said...

BOLLOCKS, indeed...

Claiming to be a person of faith means nothing if the person's deeds contradict the teachings.

I'd rather have a respectful, ethical Atheist as our "Decider" rather than some hack wannabe who puts himself out there as a theo-fascistic Christian, dismissing and disputing the faith of others.

But then again... THAT is what living in a SECULAR society USED TO BE.

Nowadays?

Notsomuch.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I wish I had not read this post because now I want to bang my head on my desk. (Not because of you of course!)

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Rees said...

I know, right? The arrogance of some of these politicians.

I have my hairy eyeball on Obama these days...we'll see...

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank Pasta! I was planning my presidential run, but was afraid my faith in the Flying Spaghetti Monster would cause voters to shun me! Chef Boyardee be praised. Send political contributions to: Father Fettucini Alfredo

DrDave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes