Sunday, October 01, 2006

Is it hot in here?


I had a weirdly atheistic weekend.

Friday night I attended my first ever Oklahoma Atheists meetup. If you've spent any time in this Wind Tunnel for Jesus you know that atheists are not just a minority here; we're more like boogeymen used to frighten children. So it was rather more disconcerting than I had anticipated to enter an unfamiliar restaurant and find myself asking a waitress, "Um, hi, sorry, but...do you know where the atheists are?"

Of course I couldn't identify them by sight because they merely looked like people having dinner, like everyone else in the place. (Though I could tell they were different once I got close because of all the flyers and newsletters being handed about.)

Energized by the communal spirit of non-spirituality, I spent a good portion of Saturday reading Sam Harris's new book Letter to a Christian Nation, which was fantastic, as well as some publications of the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

In addition, I watched Richard Dawkins's two-hour BBC piece called The Root of All Evil courtesy of Google Video.

If nothing else it feels good to know I'm not alone.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always good to have that sense of camaraderie, especially when you are feeling outnumbered :)

Something tells me that no matter what religion or non-religion you are, when you eat, you look like a normal person eating ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes