Friday, April 07, 2006

Tip for Tat


What is with all the tip jars these days? It seems like everywhere I go there's a tip jar beaming guilt waves at me from the counter. I honestly don't understand. Why should I tip someone for simply working a cash register correctly? Aren't they being paid a full wage?

The place where I ate lunch yesterday has a tip jar by the register. I went up, ordered my food, and then came back to pick it up when they called my name. No one brought my food to my table or kept my drink filled for me; when I wanted more Diet Coke I had to go up and stand in line again and ask for some. So for what would I tip them? For handing it back without dumping it down my front? For filling it with actual Diet Coke instead of water from the sink?

Don't get me wrong--I've got nothing against them. They seem like nice folks, capable of providing me with a lovely baked potato without fuss. That's their job, though, right? It's nothing above and beyond the call or anything. They didn't run outside and wash my car while I stood in line for that second Diet Coke. I'm not trying to be a bitch about it (shut up) but I sincerely don't see why they feel they can expect extra from me for the privilege of standing in their line.

I never put anything in these pushy new jars. I don't like to feel manipulated. Am I the jerk here?

9 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger CP said...

Oh lawd. Tip jar on the above referenced blog will stay empty for years to come! *L*

Um, anyway, I blogged about this as well, a few months back. Yes, please, allow me to give you a tip for you to do exactly what you are being paid to do. What the hell sense does that make? Tips are for people who go above and beyond OR people who have to factor them in as part of their salary (ie: food servers). Tip jars at Dunkin Donuts? At the Chinese Restaurants? Are you insane? Do I get tips as a nurse when I provide special care? Um, no. I usually get a nice hug though...those are better.

CP.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Rees said...

cp, I haven't read through all of your archives--I'll definitely look for this post next time I'm there. I'm glad it's not just me!

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess my rule is, I come to you, no tip. You come to me, tip.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with contrary on this one. If they ain't walkin' my way there's no tippy-tippy.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Rees said...

Well, I'm glad I'm in such good company at least. I was starting to think I was the jackass--the things are popping up everywhere.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Veruca Salt said...

seriously, are we tipping them so they don't spit in our food? So they actually complete our order? Because of the grace used when they handed us that plastic cup and pointed us towards the soda dispenser? Why aren't we tipping the girls in the fitting rooms of retail stores who ask us if we need another size or count our garments to make sure we're not taking in more than we can actually try on? Maybe we should start tipping complete strangers simply because they don't push us into the middle of the street.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Rees said...

Sing it, sister.

You know, when I pick up my dry cleaning someone comes to my car and hands it to me through the window. Am I supposed to be tipping her?

It's all so confusing.

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason those tip jars seem to be in abundance these days. I don't tip either unless they serve me at my table.

BTW, anyone who thinks the first commenter's blog is real should have their head examined.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

I think they're just hoping people will be too lazy to pocket their change, or that they won't want to jingle all day long.

I find the tip jars much less annoying than servers who automatically ASSUME they're getting a tip by actually asking, "Do you want change?"

(Oh, and I added you to my sidebar...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes