Thursday, September 07, 2006

This is hard!

So The Atheist Mama tagged me with my first meme. Wish me luck:


A book that changed my life

Hmmm. Probably something feminist. Maybe The Beauty Myth?


A book I’ve read more than once

Too many to list. I read most of my books over and over.


A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island

The Lord of the Rings. Maybe Harry Potter if I could have them all in one book.

A book that made me laugh

Catcher in the Rye, Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, Notes from Underground, Shoveling Smoke, Letters from a Nut, Me Talk Pretty One Day, etc., etc., etc.


A book that made me cry

An embarrassingly long list, but a few samples: Watership Down, Of Mice and Men, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Kite Runner, A Tale of Two Cities, Silas Marner


A book that I wish had been written

I'm looking for a good historical fiction novel written from Delilah's perspective

A book that I wish had never been written

I'm not sure I could erase even a shitty book from existence...


A book I’ve been meaning to read

I'm so instant gratification driven--when I want to read something I go get it!


I’m currently reading

The Club Dumas, Kingdom Coming


I'm adding one:

Book so disturbing I couldn't read it twice

Clockwork Orange and A Handmaid's Tale

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

I actually make it a point to re-read "The Handmaid's Tale" periodically...

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Rees said...

We all should, cranky. It just freaked me out so bad. Damn, that's a scary book.

Yes, tense, we should all read it at least the once. It is brilliant.

There's a movie version, but I've only seen bits of it. I got the impression it was quite well done, but I haven't seen enough to guarantee that.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Actually, I thought the movie was awful. Atwood's prose was much more effective. Plus, it's hard to translate a novel that's pretty much entirely internal dialogue into a visual medium.

Also (and typically, if I can be forgiven a snort of derision) they beefed up Robert Duvall's role and made the Colonel much more af a character than he was in the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of online users in last 3 minutes